READY: Select any hardwood shaft/tip (or two) and your cue will be on its way to you in 3 business days.
Woods Used: Black cherry, beech (green rings), maple (red rings)
Core: Maple into Hickory
Hang Time: 9 months
Shaft Wood Available: Maple, Birch, Ash, White Oak, Sassafras, Hickory, Black Locust, Purple Heart, Cherry, Walnut
- Blue Knight — soft (hardness rating 61)
- Elkmaster — medium (hardness rating 66)
- Royal Oak — medium (hardness rating 66)
- Le Pro — medium hard (hardness rating 78)
- Triangle — hard (hardness rating 91)
Collars: Black phenolic
Butt Length: 30 5/16″ — (making about 60.5″ cue)
Collar diameter: .85″
Butt diameter: 1.23″
Butt Weight: 15.1 oz. (Maple and similar density shafts are about 3-3.5 oz. Hickory and Purple Heart, 3.5 and higher. Cue is also drilled and tapped to add up to 1 oz. weight bolt, if requested.
Thank you for checking out my work.
I’m entering my third season as a cue builder…. so how do you know you aren’t buying junk?
- My name, integrity, and reputation as a blunt-truth grit lit author are all I have. I put them behind my cues by offering a lifetime warranty and a 14 day return/refund policy.
- I show how I build cues on YouTube.
- The shooters buying my sticks love them and say so.
- I’m happily available to field your questions. Email me at clayton at charactercues.com for a time to talk.
The cue building process is a little different for me than most builders, since it begins when I find a piece of wood, usually in decay, that I can restore. More than a year often passes between processing a log and shining the cue I made from it.
I dry the wood to 0% humidity, stabilize with Cactus Juice resin, cook in an oven, then allow the blanks to rest.
I core all of my cues except my hickory break sticks — meaning I turn a dowel out of birch, hard maple, or hickory to be the cue’s skeleton. Cores help prevent warping and improve strength.
Each of my cues hangs in the shop a minimum of six months, being turned down to final size a few hundredths at a time. This is also to prevent warping.
I finish cues with CA, a super clear, hard and durable finish.
The bottom line, I’m a 100% person, and this cue received my 100% and then some.